Monday, October 01, 2007

Crisis? I walk for almost a whole day in Dili town.

Are things fine in Timor? I was back in Timor from 18 sept to 27 sept. and I must say that Dili is relatively calm. As you can see from the pictures, there is no problem walking in the streets in the day. Although I heard stories of troubles coming from IDP camps(mostly during night time), I didn't see any during my visit. Dili is brighter at night because there are street lamps now. The night picture was taken near the cathedral before going into Bairo Pitte, a supposedly 'hot' zone but troubles are sporadic and I had a safe trip home at 10pm - no problems.


Food is abundant in the grocery stores and supermarkets and the streets are really busy.
I was quite surprised that there are traffic jams in Dili!(maybe it is the traffic lights or the overcrowding of cars(from the UN) on the roads). Even till the early evening, the streets are busy with activities. I hope I have allay your fears if you are thinking twice about going to Timor. It is relatively calm with sporadic night troubles in 'hot' zones like Comoro. Ask a UN police if you're unsure which areas to avoid at night. Generally, I would say it is safe to travel in Timor.

Go to www.byjason.org/timor/index.html for more info on my recent trip that includes a trip to Hope Orphanage in Gleno and some faces of children at IDP camps, Dili town and Liquica.

No comments: