Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The situation in Timor now

Things have calmed down in Dili but many people are still away in the districts. My computer classes in World Vision are now half(or less than that) full as many students are away. Rumours are flying all over the place that there will be further troubles especially on Independence Day(20th May). Things looked normal as of now - cars and taxis in the streets, some shops are opened and people walking in the streets. But no one really knows when another attack will come. Australia had deployed 4 warships near the Timor sea and had told the Timor government that should they need troops, they are ready to send them in. Everyone hopes that there will be a close to this chapter but it seems that this unresolved soldiers case will continue to mar the stability of the country until next year's election. As I've always told my friends, "Anything can happen in any place at any time in East Timor". No wonder my passport and my camera is in my bag everyday now.

No comments: