Friday, May 19, 2006

Is East Timor safe?

Although Dili has not been as busy as it used to be, there are people walking on the streets and taxis, buses plying the streets. The market in Mercado Lama and Comoro is also bustling with activities - people buying, selling and chatting away. No doubt the situation is volatile but as of now, it is peaceful and calm. There are rumours that gun shots are heard in Comoro yesterday but Timor is always full of these rumours. If it's true, the market will be empty already. Nevertheless, the police and military are on high alert and ready to tackle any trouble if it arises.

As I went to the Malaysia Embassy yesterday to collect my certificate of good conduct(to apply for my working visa), I asked my taxi driver, "Are you from Dili?" He replied, "No, I'm from Baucau". I was pleasantly surprised and asked, "Oh, you're from Baucau(the east). Aren't you afraid of the current situation?" He smiled at me and said, "Afraid of what? I have to work. My stomach is more important." We both had a good laugh. So is East Timor safe? To each his own.

No comments: